Links to Casey Industrial
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Road Warrior
    If I told you .. you wouldn't believe me.

Road Warrior
    I guess there's nothing new in that, I may as well just tell you.

The short answer is there is whether there is an actual "declared" default or not, there's going to be A LOT of fighting in Greece very soon. They are next on the list and it's all going to hit the fan. 200 years ago Greece was part of the (muslim) Ottoman Empire (Turkey) until they won the war of independence in 1821. When you look at a map of Greece today it includes nearly all the islands including those in rowing distance to the coast of Turkey too. (I think that's about to change)

Not to change the subject just saying it's about to morph into the Greek/Turk political question, and the Greek/EU economy question is going to fade away.
    Last edited by MrMulticraft; 06-09-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Road Warrior
    I suppose I could let you in on another little "factoid". If you consider the CIA factbook regarding natural gas production (granted the numbers they publish are old by the time they publish) but Russia was #2 in natural gas production and they are trying to sign a deal with Greece and Turkey for a pipeline. Greece is #92 (out of 94) and Turkey is #68. Russia needs the customers and Greece needs cheap energy so it's pretty sure to happen. The only other route would have to go through Bulgaria, Romania and the Ukraine (and directly adjacent to the Crimean peninsula) so that's probably NOT going to happen.
    Last edited by MrMulticraft; 06-10-2015 at 10:52 AM.

Road Warrior
    Back in 1982 I was in Naples Italy at a NATO base. What was amazing to me was that NATO has Greece AND Turkey as members and for the most part they are not really friendly towards each other.
    There is some Hatfields and McCoys stuff going on there that is deep rooted.
    Anyway - besides fighting in Greece - where does the US sit, what impact on the US and or world economy when Greece tumbles, followed by Spain, and then Ireland.
    Do we need to stock up on some more beans, bullets, and bandages?
    Do we care that Russia is poised and steps in once calamity strikes claiming they are protecting their national interests or the interests of their new "allies"!!!
    Robert B Fox IV

Been Doing This Before You Were Born Otto Nobedder's Avatar
    Damn! I feel like I'm reading a new "print version" of FOX News.
    Steve

"Ah, the internet. No one can tell if you're man or child, rich or poor, handsome or homely. However, everyone knows if you're a jackass."

Road Warrior
    The problem is Greek pride. The rest of the EU is throwing them under the bus and they will make a polar shift to get into bed with Russia before they will capitulate. Look at a map of Eastern Europe and ask yourself "what would Putin do?"

Belarus is a former Soviet Republic and the BBC reported 4 months ago that they are "ruled with an iron fist". (they are joined to Russia at the hip and aren't going anywhere). Georgia to the South is virtually the same. Russia isn't particularly fond of any of them except for their value as a LAND BUFFER against invasion.

The Baltic states have nothing of value except they are also a buffer to the West.

Norway, Sweden and Finland are declared "neutral states", Russia already has a lot of trade established with them and he's not going to mess with it. ... (buffer)

Ukraine was the only state that really wasn't playing ball which is why you see what's going on there, and in the Crimea. So the only real place the Soviets can get something they don't already have is by exploiting the rift between Iran/USA, and Greece, Turkey/ EU. Russia is going to encourage Greece "Hey if they won't give you a break then cut ties and come over to our side". (If you think this is unlikely consider the way Hitler went after Mussolini in Italy, and Franco in Spain during WWII).

It's going to happen.

Everyone is focused on Greece because of their debt and ignoring Turkey. Turkey just had their 3rd election where the Muslim President was trying to get absolute control of Parliament to expand presidential powers but the people said bullsh1t on that and for the first time the Shia muslims won the required 10% of the popular vote to ensure the Sunni's didn't get a 'super majority' and give the president what he wanted. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33047047

(what does that mean?) ... look at the map ... http://www.totalrl.com/forums/upload...1423399019.jpg ... Shiites are the minority but are heavily concentrated in Iran, Iraq and Yemen. (COVERT assistance creates a natural thorn in the side of the USA).

The Saudi's (sunni majority) are buying BILLIONS in weapons from anyone selling including nukes from the Pakistani's (sunni majority)

Russia wants into bed with Turkey and Greece which is why he's withdrawing support from Assad in Syria http://www.i24news.tv/en/news/intern...-disintegrates (that's a Israeli news agency BTW).

Putin doesn't really care but the Greek Orthodox and the Russian Orthodox are very similar and he'll exploit that similarity.

If your head isn't spinning by now ... it should be... LOTS of people are focused on Greece and the EU/IMF situation and no one is paying attention to ours. Obama and the insurance industry is going to crash the stock market and it's not these little pebbles that will rock the pond but all of us are going to be blindsided by what's happening right under our noses. I give it about 3 to 4 more months before ONE GOOD CALAMITY upsets the apple cart.

Pull up this page: http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/crude-oil.aspx and look at the 2 year history of commodities and you will see everything bottomed out about 2 months ago. It's all headed back up. While you are looking at the prices consider the 10 YEAR history of Gold. If you bought gold during the Bush years ('06 - '08)you paid between $400 - $800 an ounce. Anyone that sold 6 years later made between 125% 450% profit. The guys that created the panic drove the price up to $1800 an ounce and then dumped butt loads (which drove the price back down) and gold lost roughly 1/3 it's value back down to $1200 where it's roughly leveled out today. ... Gold goes down .. commodities go up. ... Investors are moving away from "currency" and moving toward "stuff". ... You can't eat currency.

So to answer your question what happened in the Great Depression? When banks fail and people lose their jobs MANY lost shelter. Beans, bullets, and bandages are the least of your trouble LOTS of people have that, but if you have a mortgage you are already struggling to pay I hope you have a plan for surviving homelessness. Keep your cash it will last you a little while in the beginning and in the end you might need the cotton to wipe your a$$. Anyone that doesn't have a more comprehensive plan for long term devastation maybe better off getting it over with early and going over the cliff with the rest of the lemmings.

I'll leave you with a Proverb:
    1 Hear, my children, the instruction of a father, And give attention to know understanding;
    2 For I give you good doctrine: Do not forsake my law.
    3 When I was my father’s son, Tender and the only one in the sight of my mother,
    4 He also taught me, and said to me: “Let your heart retain my words; Keep my commands, and live.
    5 Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth.
    6 Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you; Love her, and she will keep you.
    7 Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.
    8 Exalt her, and she will promote you; She will bring you honor, when you embrace her.
    9 She will place on your head an ornament of grace; A crown of glory she will deliver to you.”

Road Warrior
    SO you are really depressing.
    BUT I get it.
    My dream is 10 acres off the beaten path, with good water and about 1/2 acre planted.
    What is yours?
    I have a house payment, but not struggling, less than 10 years left on the note.
    AND I have a tent - it is paid for.
    I live in a mild climate (not as cold as North Dakota and not as hot as South Texas).
    Robert B Fox IV

Road Warrior
    So what would you do if Birmingham had a direct hit hurricane? How well prepared are you, and what do you have squirreled away for a "rainy day"?

I looked it up. Birmingham is only 644' above sea level so if a meteor landed in the Gulf (again) would the wave hit your house?
    Last edited by MrMulticraft; 06-13-2015 at 07:02 AM.

Road Warrior
    I don't think I am a "Prepper", but I liked the show.
    I have canned goods and dry goods and water and cooking gear.
    We did have a hurricane make it to Birmingham about 10 years ago - it was only a class 1 or just a storm by then.
    We get worse thunderstorms than that up here.
    If we get a meteor in the gulf big enough for water to make it 200 miles, I think we will ALL have much bigger problems.
    A greater concern for my neck of the woods are tornadoes - thankfully they can be short-lived and not as widespread so a neighbor can come help you.
    I was in Juliette GA when Alabama had some 300 tornadoes in one day, my son and I left Georgia.
    With supplies and generators and chainsaws for a weekend of help to the folks in Hackleburg, AL. There were blocks of complete devastation and for a town that size considerable loss. But there was a mountain of help brought in (from all over the Alabama and the US) by the truckload. ZERO government help, did not see the first FEMA person for a couple of days. Did not need them and most did not want them.

If you have all your eggs in one basket and your basket gets blown away you are not going to eat. I think one of the best solutions is community.
    One of my rules is that none of us is as smart as all of us. Spreading out your resources and having folks you can rely on I think is a better preparation than stockpiling several years worth of food.
    What happens when the neighbors notice your kids "NOT" losing weight during the depression?
    Would it not make more sense to work together with your neighbors - oh, kind of like how towns in the old west survived.
    Somebody was the blacksmith, someone else the tailor, someone a baker, someone a butcher, a couple of farmers and a couple of ranchers.
    Last edited by bobfoxiv; 06-15-2015 at 12:30 PM.
    Robert B Fox IV

Road Warrior
    Well said.

I think where most people drop the ball is lack of forethought. Some of course will stockpile tons of relatively useless items like "toilet paper" but fail to prepare for worst case scenario.

I have a little bit stored but where I think I've done well personally is redundant backups. I'll post a list later and you can see what I'm talking about.