Supports the National Science Foundation managed United States Antarctic Program as part of the Antarctic Support Contract (ASC). Linemen will perform electrical distribution maintenance or construction work, or any combination thereof, under the supervision of the Lineman Foreman. Tasking is based ASC schedule requirements.
GENERAL DUTIES (not all inclusive):
• Perform hands-on installation of branch circuits, power distribution wiring, electrical equipment, fixtures, and conduit in compliance with the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC) and National Electric Code (NEC)
• Perform hands-on installation and maintenance of overhead electrical lines in accordance with applicable codes, working with voltages up to 4160 volts
• Perform hands-on diagnosis, repair, and scheduled Preventative Maintenance on existing systems, equipment, fixtures, and infrastructure
• Timely response to emergency service calls during and outside of normal working hours
• Accurate and thorough documentation of hours worked, tasking performed, materials used, and processes involved
• Advise immediate Supervisor of job progress and material/labor requirements
• Accomplish tasking utilizing design drawings, specifications, and wiring diagrams
• Follow established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), suggest revisions as needed, and create SOPs as directed
• Perform tasking outdoors in environmentally challenging conditions including wind and extreme cold weather
• Routinely utilize independent judgment and discretion to identify potential issues and solve problems
• Proactively identify any unsafe conditions, hazards, or Code violations and communicate them effectively
• Work directly with other departments to plan and complete tasking
• Learn and effectively utilize computer based labor, material, and maintenance tracking applications
• May deploy to remote research support facilities for day trips or extended periods (McMurdo only)
• Occasionally utilize the assistance of other station personnel to complete tasking, or assist other trades or departments with their tasking
• Comply with all ASC Environmental, Safety and Health (ESH), Waste Management and Quality Assurance requirements
• Participate in Work Center Safety Program and ASC safety objectives
• Participate in community programs such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (station clean-up), “GASH” (galley clean-up at Palmer), and recycling efforts
• Perform other duties as required
• Current journeyman lineman license, completion of an apprenticeship program, or proof of holding a journeyman lineman union card is required.
• Minimum four years of experience in all phases of the lineman trade including rough wiring, power distribution wiring, installation and maintenance of power distribution systems, installation of conduit, and wiring of electrical equipment
• Experience working with 4160 volt systems
• Thorough knowledge of the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC) and the principles of electricity
• Understanding of National Electrical Code Grounding and Bonding requirements
• Ability to read and interpret design drawings, specifications, and wiring diagrams
• Possess prior computer experience and be able and willing to learn and effectively utilize computer based labor, inventory, and maintenance tracking applications
• Possess the competencies, willingness and ability to perform the duties of position
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Valid Driver’s License issued in the United States
• Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods is required.
• Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts, assemblies and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum.
• Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors.
• Must successfully complete the physical, dental and psychological (if applicable) examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica.
• Must participate in community programs, such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (cleaning-up around the station), recycling efforts & safety objectives.
• US citizenship or US Permanent Resident Status is required.
• Experience working in a commercial or industrial environment
• Valid Commercial Driver’s License
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
PAE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.